Thursday, December 25, 2008

Health Service

The Government has played an important role as the main provider of public health services through a national network of hospitals, clinics and other services. Universities and nongovernmental organizations are also among the main players in the health system pyramid. This is to ensure that the objective of universal access to essential health services is attained. The efficient use of limited resources has been achieved through an integrated national health care system that encompasses both preventive and curative services. This is a major reason why Malaysia has managed to keep health care costs down, while achieving satisfactory health outcomes.


I would like to share a sweet experience I underwent quite recently.

During the last mid semester, I noticed that my neck is swollen. The swollen did not hurt but the size of it becoming larger by day. Being worried and all, I decided to pay a visit to the clinic. But to my frustration, the clinic in USM was crowded and my swollen neck could not tolerate that long queue.

I used to be so ignorant, and could not care less about the whereabouts of other panel clinic before since I am not prone to being sick for quite some time. Searching through the internet, I was surprised to find that there are a lot of panel clinics around made especially for the convenience of USM students. Off to Gelugor I went heading to Klinik Aman. But the doctor there advised me that goiter test was only to be done in the USM Clinic in-campus itself. Hence I have no other choice.

I used to be so cynical about government clinics. But my poor expectations were smashed by the surprisingly friendly atmosphere inside the clinic. The nurses were very friendly that I don’t mind the long queue. They seemed concern and ask several times if the waiting is bothering me. In whole, the service was very good, and I’m heading back home feeling very happy.

Here I would love to share some information of the services available in USM Clinic in campus that I read from the website:
-Clinical treatment
-Emergency
-Refer cases to Ganeral Hospital
-Lab Test
-Ultrasound
-X-Ray
-Pharmacy service
-Haemodialisis service
-Dental service


To conclude things, I noticed that the health service planning has been based on needs assessment and allocation efficiency in order to attain the appropriate level of access and an equitable distribution of the scarce resources. Planning has also been aimed to improve the mix and quality of services, and to increase efficiency and effectiveness. Besides, there are many government clinics around that are in fact, way better than the private ones. The nurses were friendly, doctors were great and overall I am very happy with my visit.


Surely, that won’t be my last visit to government clinic!

No comments:

Post a Comment